Friday, March 26, 2010

The question I would ask.. .

How much did all of this cost? You, of course, are way too polite to ask this.

The big expense, of course, is airfare and accommodations. Airfare was 2K and the apartments 3K (remember, we had Marriott points for Rome so that was 'free' (minus the maintenance fee for our time share). The apartments averaged out to 130 a night--if the dollar rate was more favorable it would have been better--however, it was a HUGE savings on: food, internet, laundry---INCREDIBLY cost effective and we will certainly do this in the future.

Since we have been here, we have only spent about 2K---that includes restaurants, groceries, train tickets, museums,the occasional bottle of vino (!) etc.

So the total trip was about 7K. . . not free, by any means, but far less than the 10 I thought it could end up being. We do hope that part of this ends up being deductible--And, we may even get some of it back if I get either of the two grants that I applied for---Long shots, of course.

Another hidden secret of travel is that, although you still have to pay your mortgage, car insurance, utilities, etc. you're not spending other money at home because YOU'RE NOT THERE!!!! Other folks may do better than we do on things like gas for the car and groceries, but that's at least 600 (by my count) that could be applied to the trip. And, I don't know about you, but I can drop 50-70 bucks at the Target. . .not sure what that's all about.

Why am I telling you all this? Because I would love to encourage the people I know to travel---yes, the exchange rate stinks--but it's always worth it. Like education of any kind, travel can broaden your outlook, make you more sympathetic to others, make you grateful for what you have.

Having the apartments has been a revelation--Ours have been typical--larger families may have an additional room or so, but generally you have one common room, a bathroom, kitchen (very small) and the bedroom. We have a modest home by U.S. standards (less than 1800 square feet) which translates as 167 square meters---very large by European standards. Aside from the space, we have realized all the energy consumers we all have. Clothes dryers would be at the top of the list. When did we all stop hanging up our clothes? I certainly don't expect that we'll go back to wash tubs and hand wringers, but drying clothes outside would be a HUGE savings and reduction in energy costs!!

1 comment:

  1. I agree about clothes dryers. I would love to hang out all my cloths to dry. There is something peaceful about clothes drying outside. It brings back memories of sun dried towels, laughing children, chasing dogs, cats curled up on garden pots...simple and happy. My children are a bit older now, but all the said still applies.

    I do believe that you have inspired me to construct a clothes line... the savings would be a bonus! I have not hung clothes outside to dry since the fall of 2001.

    I am surprised regarding the cost of your trip! It is much less than I would have expected. I hope you get your grants as well as being able to write most of the expenses off! I have really enjoyed reading about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete